St. James Street
Development of 56 apartments & 10,500 sq ft of commercial space.
St. James Street is a new-build mixed-use development in the Baltic Triangle district of Liverpool city centre. The project delivers 56 one and two bedroom apartments, together with 10,500 sq ft of commercial space to support the thriving creative and digital sector businesses in the Baltic Triangle.
Planning permission was granted by Liverpool City Council in June 2019 following an extensive consultation process.
The scheme developed from an analysis of the changing use patterns in the area. Legacy maritime and industrial structures provide opportunities for the creative, digital, and hospitality business currently thriving in the Baltic Triangle to colonise recovered spaces, adapting and customising them to suit new uses. A key driver of the scheme was therefore to build-in a commercial mix which supports the district; to provide colonisable, customisable commercial space of character to complement the quality living accommodation.
The site sits opposite E. W. Pugin's grade II* listed Church of St. Vincent de Paul (1856-7), and restores the urban block on the principal frontage of St. James Street.
The design responds to the maritime and industrial hinterland context in form and materiality, the ground floor providing a covered courtyard served by commercial units, a venue for temporary events to colonise at the heart of the development.
Client: LPS Real Estate.
Planning Consultant: GW Planning